Thursday, May 14, 2009

Yanni Voices


I've always liked Yanni- ever since the long haired Greecian (is that right) on the cover of the Live at the Acropolis CD appeared in our house some 10 years ago.  He has a unique sound and when I was 15 I definitely had a huge crush on him.  haha New Yanni CDs have hence appeared in our home as soon as they were released and we spent many family vacations listening to him and Enya at our beach rental in NC.  So, needless to say, Yanni was a part of my upbringing.  He was always around!  Dinners, cleaning the house, car rides etc.  My sister is not such a fan of his music- I am not sure if it is more of a conscious effort NOT to like him, or if she is traumatized after she broke her foot when she was 16 while dancing around the living room to his latest release.  Never the less, I have always like him.  And last night my parents took me and Rapha to his new concert- Yanni Voices, in which he adds lyrics to his music.  He had 4 vocalists with him- 3 of which I really liked, the other one- not as much.  What I really liked about the concert however, was the variety of musicians and instruments.  Yanni would highlight certain instruments throughtout his music, and sometimes there would be "battles of the strongest" competitions between the two viola players, or the drummer and Yanni on the piano, or the two drummers, etc.  The harpist (from Paraguay) was incredible and did a solo number during one of the songs, the guitarist was Brazilian and played really well, the drummer was AMAZING and was hilarious, anyway you get my point.  It was great.  I have a huge appreciation for his music, even more so after seeing him in concert!  I highly reccomend going to see him if you have the chance- he's far better than most rock bands, (minus U2, of course!) and puts on  a great show as he talks to the audience and interacts with his orchestra.  Go to yanni.com for tour information and to see if YOU will have the lucky opportunity to see him live!  :)


5 comments:

ixoj said...

That couldn't possibly be Yanni because there is no mustache adorning that Grecian face.

I don't like Yanni because he uses too much synthesizer. But I DO like the instruments that occasionally pop up in his music, especially the more recent albums. And I like the African woman who warbles on one of his cds.

And I can't believe you had a crush on him. Creepy.

Kristi said...

I thought he was hot! Ya know...the long hair and huge mustache! Come on I was only like 13 or 14 haha and the synthesizer was toned down at the concert- he is going to SLC in June- I really think you should go! Seriously!!

Lindsey said...

I never knew you liked Yanni! Funny! I have a few CDs from middle school, my Mom loved relaxing to Yanni. Glad it was a such a good concert!

Anonymous said...

Fautie says:


Synthesizers are wondrous in music. Kelly should expand her horizons! However Yanni uses them less in his later music. He has more strings,woodwinds, brass, etc. You should listen to the Tribute CD. Very little synthesizer music there. And as Kristi noted he has added voices and lyrics even to some of his older music. However, I could not understand the two men because one sang in Spanish and the other Italian. Their voices however were incredible especially the Italian singer. Kelly I have no doubt you would have enjoyed it. You should go when he is in SLC.

ixoj said...

I think I really just want to be one of the singing women in his group. Then I could wail my heart out.